Sunday 7 March 2010

Mr Ratty II - First Blood


As the only form of rodent control sold in Nigeria appears to be poison, my new housemate has brought me a present of a rat trap. With the power to moderately annoy a rat, or do some serious damage to my fingers the Rattinator 5000 marks a dangerous upswing in the level of violence. Its him or me.






In the black corner we have Rattus rattus aka Mr Ratty the second most deadly creature on earth, equipped with an arsenal of contagious pathogens featuring the ever popular Bubonic plague and toxoplasmosis.






In the other corner is Richard, equipped with moderate intelligence giving him the power to use basic tools (poorly).

Its a close call.


Carefully placing the trap by his new entrance point we didn’t have to wait long before the first kill.



You can imagine the Ratty home being a sad place, little Timmy ratty asking Mrs Ratty
“Mummy when’s daddy coming home, he said he’d read me a story when he came back”

And then 2 nights later Mrs Ratty, obviously coming to investigate Mr Ratty’s disappearance:

I feel no regret.




I know what you’re thinking, some form of graph is in order to plot my struggle against this invasion:




However this tells us very little...

What you need is a pie chart:





Now that really adds to the story

5 comments:

  1. You're doing better than I did with the mouse. I had 12 traps (and mouse heroin aka peanut butter) and it took weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, you've probably just saved a few hundred natives from bubonic plague!

    Hope you gave Mr and Mrs Ratty a suitable burial?

    How's the crunchy fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good Richard, glad you were able to get one over the rats
    A possible (cheap) way to measure the air flow could be to use a manometer. A length of clear plastic tube may serve to create a u tube and use the pressure drop to estimate the flow rate, it may not be big enough though

    ReplyDelete
  4. err. mr and mrs ratty were thrown down by the river where I dump my rubbish (a little bit of me crys each time I do this, but there is no rubbish collection in Nigeria).

    The kill count is now up to 3,either it was Ratty junior or Mr Ratty might have been a bigamist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why are you dumping the rats? Surely you learnt from Baldrick that Rats can make a delightful meal:

    Rat Sautee, Rat Fricassee, Rat au Van, Rat au dried melon...

    Recipe for Rat Sautee:

    Take the freshly shaved rat and you marinade it in a puddle for a while (till it's drowned), then you stretch it out under a hot lightbulb, then get within dashing distance of a latrine and then you scoff it right down

    Yum yum

    ReplyDelete